Surface Dwellers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Development blog #2 - Summer 2011

+3
Warder
Harald
Izual
7 posters

Go down

Development blog #2 - Summer 2011 Empty Development blog #2 - Summer 2011

Post  Izual Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 am

We didn't write any news post for the 1st of August - sorry! In this summer period, advertisements for FOnline servers with shiny eye-candy & art seemed to pop up all the time, so you may have thought that compared to them we're inactive/unworthy. Damn, we're not! :grin: When it comes to games - and above all, games in development - it's always useful to remember that "All that is gold does not glitter, and all that glitters is not gold".

That being said, the time we did not spent in advertising was spent in thinking and discussing about the game. Also, eating pizzas :cool: Anyway... Amarok did spent a lot of time writing scripts, and I think it's very true to say that - as scheduled - we've really went forward in the game development. We also took a few decisions about splash damage - to be more specific, about hex-targeting. Most of the thinking was about ambiance stuff, like, for example, music. We are in contact with a few professional artists and it'd be a good material for a future newspost, so stay tuned! Ambiance and music are very important in this project - maybe more than in any other FOnline game. Survival-horror doesn't work if it doesn't have a proper background.

I know it's not a great reading and not a very exciting blog post, but, hey. Summer's over now! Don't think we're now bored with this project or so. We had a very kind email of Mark Morgan a few days ago and we wouldn't have emailed him first if we were dull!

We're so kind we even show you a screenshot (with temporary HUD) took during a troubleshooting session. This is part of a dialog made by Kroktil!

Development blog #2 - Summer 2011 110822193552

See you soon, and, of course say tuned. Don't let the zombies catch you :cool:
Izual
Izual
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Development blog #2 - Summer 2011 Empty Re: Development blog #2 - Summer 2011

Post  Harald Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:07 pm

YEEPPPY!!!

Splash damage is pretty much needed for sure (as I do believe there would be hordes of enemies), however, wouldn't this buff explosives and overally big gun users? Technically all BGs have area effect (well, bozar is an exception, but doubt it will make it into the game), and even the flamethrower would be rather overpowered compared to people trying to play as a sniper.
Harald
Harald
Caveling
Caveling

Back to top Go down

Post  Izual Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 am

No, when we talk about splash damage it's about rockets, grenades (...) so it's not all about Big Guns. Explosive weapons will be, I think, fairly dispatched in all weapons category. We plan to have a grenade thrower (rifle, and/or pistol) in the Small Guns category. But we mostly thought about the hex-targeting. It will be supported, of course, but in a way that hasn't been done before, a more realistic way.
and even the flamethrower would be rather overpowered compared to people trying to play as a sniper.
Flamethrower has a range of 5 iirc (we can't change it due to the critter animation). Sniper has an almost infinite range, but is very weak when it comes to kill close targets. But we already talked about all this :p Also, flamethrower hasn't really "splash" damage.
Izual
Izual
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  Warder Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Glad to hear you, i thought zombies found way into your secret bunker :confused:
This is part of a dialog made by Kroktil
Lilly reminds me of Gus Mally from "Gauntlet" movie... I mean the way she is talking :grin:
Warder
Warder
Caveling
Caveling

Back to top Go down

Post  Overdose Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 am

Wow, glad to see you guys are still here :) can't wait for the game.
Overdose
Overdose
Caveling
Caveling

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosmy Sundr Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:08 am

hex targeting... could this perhaps mean partially destructible environments? :mrgreen:

It be great to be able to blast a door (or wall!) open, and those rusty barrels ain't gonna light themselves.
Rosmy Sundr
Rosmy Sundr
Caveling
Caveling

Back to top Go down

Post  Kroktil Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:09 am

Lilly reminds me of Gus Mally from "Gauntlet" movie... I mean the way she is talking Grin

Never saw this one :tongue:
Kroktil
Kroktil
Dialog writer
Dialog writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Izual Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Glad you're all glad. :wink:

Rosmy Sundr wrote:hex targeting... could this perhaps mean partially destructible environments? :mrgreen:
It be great to be able to blast a door (or wall!) open, and those rusty barrels ain't gonna light themselves.
Yes, but it's not possible with Fallout 2 graphics, and I don't think it really fits SD gameplay. So, nope. No destructible environments, sorry :glasses:

Glad to hear you, i thought zombies found way into your secret bunker :confused:
Never. But we still have a secret exit for the secret bunker in case they'd come in.

Edit/Quoting smileys didn't work? Fixed now.
Izual
Izual
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  LagMaster Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 am

good to hear this Izual
LagMaster
LagMaster
Caveling
Caveling