Surface Dwellers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily allotments/rations

3 posters

Go down

Daily allotments/rations Empty Daily allotments/rations

Post  Rosmy Sundr Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Izual wrote:
Everyday, you will receive stuff according to your skills. However, you will always need extrea healing supplies or bullets, for example, and to get them you will need to scavenge. Scavenging in SD will be exploring the map looking for supplies in its containers (wardrobes, chests, lockers, footlockers, etc, etc). The problem is that while exploring you may stumble across zombies.

I can foresee a potential problem problem with daily allotments or rations, even if it's skill based. Rationing leads to hording. I could play everyday and fritter away my freebies while scavenging, or just like interest in the 2238 banks, I could sit on it and let it build up until I can own a map (or if I'm a pk, let my team do all the work, and then off them with my saved up ammo/drugs and take their loot.

I can think of two potential solutions:

1) base rations not on purely skill, but a function of skill and change in critter-count over a 24 hour period (or whenever rations are distributed. That way no zombie squishing = no free lunch. Gravediggers don't exactly sound like a charity, so I think this kill or ammo-starve mentality would fit nicely. This could also discourage PKing if you were so inclined. zombie kills add to rations, human kills subtract (could be 1:1 if gravediggers just see team killing as a waste of ammo, or 1:50 if they have a "preserve whats left of humanity!" leaning).

2)combat trophies. something lootable off zombies corpses that you need to bring back to base to prove your kills. Could be a simple as having each zombie drop a mass-less xander root (re-named zombie scalp). This could be useful in making sure everyone gets fair credit for a mission (helping field medics, demolitions experts, etc). Each scalp or trophy might translate directly into ammo or drugs back at the base, via an NPC allocations officer or quota-master, or you might want to have an economy within the base, where players trade for what they need (I got shotgun ammo for my ration, but my gun only takes 10mm)

Both of these have flaws too, #1 encourages last-shot kill stealing, and #2 would probably make it way to easy for twinking, creating an exploitable pseudo currency, however I think either flaw would be preferable to having a weekend-warrior spoil the game with his saved up riches.
Rosmy Sundr
Rosmy Sundr
Caveling
Caveling

Back to top Go down

Daily allotments/rations Empty Re: Daily allotments/rations

Post  Izual Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Welcome here and thanks for this interesting suggestion :wink:

First of all.

(or if I'm a pk, let my team do all the work, and then off them with my saved up ammo/drugs and take their loot.)
PvP will be disabled in SD. The worst things your teammates can do to grief is doing nothing to clean the area :grin:

So, huh, now that this is clear, the main problem is this:

I could play everyday and fritter away my freebies while scavenging, or just like interest in the 2238 banks, I could sit on it and let it build up until I can own a map
I would like to remind (or maybe it was never said clearly here) that if the zombies amount in your map reaches a certain number, everyone lose (dies) and comes back to HQ (replicates). It's not directly link with this thread, but it's fine if we all remember it :tongue:

Fact is, this kind of "exploit" won't be possible without investing a lot of skill points in some skills. As I said in another thread, you won't be able to keep your items when you die unless you raise your Outdoorsman skill (It maybe won't be Outdoorsman. It might be Speech. But you get the idea). This means, if you plan to: Go in mission -> Profit (assuming you survive long enough) -> Suicide, you will need to be a outdoorsman expert to keep some items. The only way to keep your items is to win a mission, and it will be very hard, very long and (above all) almost impossible if one of the few remaining survivors (on the last day) is inactive.

I hope I was clear - I like your 1) fix though, and I'll remember it if we need to change the current system one day.
Izual
Izual
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Daily allotments/rations Empty Re: Daily allotments/rations

Post  Amarok Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Rations will be distributed, yes, but not cumulate. Each day his pain... :wink:
Amarok
Amarok
Developer
Developer